Getting Started in Kindle Publishing: Independent vs Traditional Publishing

Earlier, I directed you to Joe Konrath's a Newbie's Guide to Publishing.

As you may recall, Joe, most of his guest writers, and even many who comment on his posts, are already established writers, many with impressive backlists.

Their experience is very valuable, but I think perhaps more CJ's Pie readers will identify with DD Scott's The Writer's Guide to E-Publishing.

A recent guest post by writer Lois Lavrisa, starts with the comment that she will "take huge liberties with a classic story", to tell of her efforts to get traditionally published and why she is planning to indie publish in 2012.

Her Alice in Wonderland tale will bring a smile to the lips and a pang to the heart of many who have traveled that same magical and mythical road.

Lois begins her story:

"Somewhere, over the rainbow in New York, publishing happened. Agents and editors in the shining city had power to grant writers their dream of being a published author.  Of course, as a writer I wanted to achieve that dream too.  And therefore, I worked diligently and tirelessly: I joined professional writing organizations, attended countless writing conferences and workshops along the road to publishing success.

Beta readers and critique partners read my work. I learned the craft, I networked, I wrote and rewrote. Then I did it all over again.

At last, with my manuscript polished and complete, I decided to pitch it at a conference. When it was my turn for my pitch session, I was led down a long golden carpeted hallway,"

 Read the rest of Lois's story here:

http://thewritersguidetoepublishing.com/welcome-to-the-wg2e-lois-lavrisahttp://thewritersguidetoepublishing.com/welcome-to-the-wg2e-lois-lavrisa

While you are there, at DD Scott's The Writer's Guide to E-Publishing , be sure to check out the sales figures on the right-hand sidebar.

Of most interest, of course, are DD's very healthy Amazon sales figures, but what also should be noted are the relatively low figures for ebooks in other formats.

It's nice to think of having our books available in all formats... but how much time and money can we afford to spend to get our books converted to every format under the sun?

DD's figures suggest that our time and money might be better spent in developing our stories and sharpening our writing skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment